Monday, June 15, 2009

Ragged Squares Quilt

I think I have settled on a pattern for my first ever quilt. I found it here, and I think it should be relatively easy for my first try. It looks like less cutting and piecing than some of the other patterns I've seen, and I really like the finished look of it. Trouble is, I'm pretty sure I need to order more fabric!! Oh, and I still have to figure out how to work my sewing machine. I always find the most trouble in the simplest of details!

Now...here's my question: What exactly do I need to get started (other than my sewing machine, the skills required to get it working, and a plethora of desirable fabric)? Scissors? A rotary cutter? A ruler? What's the best way to cut squares? Do strips first and then make cuts to make the strip into squares?

Help?

Cheers,
A

2 comments:

  1. yeah- you want a rotary cutter, rotary mat, and a straight edge. Make sure you get a straight edge that is long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the same quilt I'm making for my first quilt. I've been using a rotary cutter, mat, and 24 inch ruler. I use these tools for most of my sewing projects and now that I have them, I can't imagine life without them. On the other hand, if you don't want to spend much money cut out a 9", 6" and 3" template from cardboard (a cereal box works well) and trace onto your fabric, then you just have a lot of cutting out to do. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete